Frequently Asked Questions
How does the Synthesis Intelligent Workflow Management enhance physician performance?
- Assign exams to pre-processing personnel prior to reading by physicians, thus eliminating many of the rote processes otherwise required.
- Enable work assignment based on a reader’s preferences, allowing physicians to preferentially work within their subspecialty.
- Translate orders and exams from different institutions into a single, standardized exam list of exam types associated with report templates and technologist forms. We call this the Synthesis Playbook™.
- Support pre-caching of medical images that automatically selects comparison exams based on body region matching.
- Provide a unified worklist (no requirement to switch between databases to complete a work shift).
How does the Synthesis Platform benefit healthcare professionals?
- Enhanced and fast reading and reporting. Efficient reading physicians produce quality clinical care, happy referrers, and satisfied patients. Recruiting and retaining physicians and technologists depends on providing an efficient, enjoyable workflow.
- Greater agility in our implementations and faster upgrade cycles are all based on predictable costs. With Synthesis, there are no huge upfront risks and long, painful implementations.
How does the Synthesis comprehensive approach to cloud technology help?
Synthesis controls all elements of the radiology workflow, including the interface engine, worklist, messaging, reporting, speech engine and viewing systems. This distinguishes us from others, as these technologies otherwise require multiple vendors and interfaces. Our integrated solution allows us to offer readers:
- Built-in Speech Organization™. Users can dictate text in any order and produce organized reports that are itemized by anatomical location.
- Built-in Speech Recognition. Synthesis Health is the rare company in imaging informatics to offer a completely integrated reporting solution, down to the cloud-speech engine. The immediate benefits are a more efficient user experience and lower costs. In the longer term, our deep integration of reading and reporting will facilitate the integration of the most useful AI applications.
- Exam-specific reports. Users can launch exam-specific reporting forms. For example, breast exams and many ultrasound exams lend themselves to “point-and-click” reporting instead of typical reporting templates.
- Automated report population. Reports are automatically pre-populated with key content (title, indications, comparison exams, medications, risk factors, etc.) before being opened by the reader.
- Automated impression generator. Electively use our automated impression generator for any report.
- Preliminary and Pre-processing workflow. Our remote ancillary personnel can help pre-process reports. Our technology also supports the needs of academic institutions with residency programs.
- Copy prior reports into current reports. Follow up reports for complex exams are expedited by copy prior findings into new reports.
- Smart access to clinical guidance. Users will soon be able to intelligently access clinical guidance (based on published guidelines) that appears in response to user actions. We are planning to make the system capable of automatically guiding responses to report content.
What competitive advantages does SHPS offer hospital and imaging center partners?
As a hospital or imaging center owner or administrator, working with SHPS offers several advantages:
- SHPS can simplify and solve your radiologist staffing issues, enabling growth or contraction as needed.
- We provide turnaround time commitments and metrics.
- SHPS physician’s output is carefully designed, anatomically organized reports that are appreciated by your clinical staff and referring physicians.
- SHPS reading physicians will be increasingly assisted with an AI co-pilot over time.
- Synthesis provides the reading station technology so that you don’t have to purchase it from a separate PACS vendor or pay for ongoing maintenance.
- Over time, we relieve many of the duties of your PACS administrative staff, helping you further optimize your operation
- Over time, we duplicate your imaging data repository with a cloud archive, which provides an opportunity to further lower your costs.
- You will certainly someday replace your array of complex, expensive medical imaging workflow software. When you do so, you can count on a simpler, lower-cost, solution from us. In addition, you can count on the support of your physician staff (readers and clinicians), who will already be familiar with our system.
What is the Synthesis approach to artificial intelligence
Synthesis develops are own AI specifically aimed at efficiency and also selects AI from other vendors to offer through our platform.
Our clinical partnerships enable us to rapidly roll our own AI innovations and those of selected AI vendors into development and then to clinical production. This provides our partners and clients with a time-to-market advantage and accelerate adoption, which is particularly important given the growing family of reimbursable AI applications.
Synthesis has 12 algorithms currently in development, many of which should be available in 2023.
Synthesis Intelligent Radiology Platform allows for seamless and rapid integration of AI into multiple parts of the radiologist workflow without having to replace a legacy RIS-PACS.
How do support personnel enhance physician performance?
Support personnel assist physicians in obtaining clinician information, communicating with referrers, and pre-processing medical reports. Our pre-processing personnel and technology also relieve physicians from needing to dictate comparison exams, ultrasound measurements, DEXA values, radiation doses, and other rote, error prone processes.
How does the Synthesis Platform benefit IT personnel?
- Cybersecurity, Scalability, and Data Management are all enhanced by our modern, cloud architecture, which is simpler and cheaper to maintain.
What is your competitive advantage vs. imaging outsourcing firms from an investor’s perspective?
Our core competitive advantages over imaging outsourcing, radiology group aggregation firms, and pure technology companies are:
- Management Team. Our management team has a depth of experience in developing innovative medical imaging technology and in developing/managing radiology practices. We have created lasting businesses with excellent returns to investors.
- Physician Hiring Strategy. Our go-to-market strategy of hiring physicians, supporting them, and focusing on the technology that is empowering them is distinct from companies that bring technology as an afterthought and distinct from companies that provide only technology. We are focused on improving their productivity, which in turn provides them with better reading capacity and overall economics.
- Synthesis Interface Technology. Our interface technology is highly robust and configurable. It enables us to function with a single playbook of imaging exam types, report templates, and tech forms so that we provide a measurable and reproducible service for our customers.
- Vertically Integrated Approach. We control all the technology upon which our value chain is based: connectivity, normalization, worklist management, workflow assignment, reporting, speech organization, speech recognition, viewing, AI, and image archive; enabling faster technology development and implementation.
- Unique Business Model. Our business model enables us to gain much higher margins than companies that sell pure technology and at the same time, provides a faster avenue for developing technology sales. With each partner deployment, Synthesis will provide both the physician services and technology utilized in the health system.